Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mom Remebers

I called my mom last night and reminded her of where we were five years ago that night. She was with me in Baltimore and took care of me, emptying my drains, changing my bandages, entertaining me. On the day of the surgery Mom and Anna arrived with me at 7am and stayed in the waiting room the entire four hours of the surgery.

Since that time my mom's memories have faded but she said she remembers two things from that experience. The first was how kind and respectful everyone at Dr. Fisher's office was. The second was that they asked me if they needed to call me a cab for me after surgery to take me back to the hotel. That was when it hit her that people often go through this surgery alone. She said her heart just hurt for them.

I tell this story not to show how amazing my mom is (though she certainly is and that's something I never take for granted). Instead I am writing this to anyone out there who has had to go through surgery alone or will have to go through surgery alone--someone is thinking of you and caring for you. When she says her heart hurts, she means it. It may be of little comfort when you are climbing into a cab alone, but I hope it will mean something when you are lying in a hotel bed and looking at a body that finally makes sense.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom's so sweet; I hope my own mother gets to that point someday. Gladly, I think she's working on it -- I don't believe she'd leave me alone for surgery. We are indeed lucky.

Congratulations on your fifth surgery anniversary!

Eli VandenBerg said...

If your mom ever needs someone to talk to let me know. She doesn't speak Spanish but she would totally be there for her. If you come to the east coast I will be too. Good luck!

adamson said...

God, going through surgery like this alone... D:

Your mom is amazing.